Pages

Tuesday, 22 May 2012

What do I want from my business?

I'm up late watching a new business lecture on Etsy. It's presented by Tara Gentile and Megan Auman, two bright and bubbly ladies who have a fantastic enthusiasm for teaching business philosophy and practicalities to craftspeople like me. They are AWESOME.

Tonight they're teaching me about earning money and pricing for profit. It seems that my attitude towards earning reflects several different things: what I learnt about money when I was growing up; how I perceive the value of hand making goods from home; my deep down attitudes to earning money by doing something I love and enjoy; how I feel about myself and my personal worth; and maybe a few other things that I can't yet put into words. Tara is encouraging me to think about my 'money story', to get it out in the open and to change the way I view money so that I can take a more positive approach to pricing, earning and using it. I like this idea. It makes a lot of sense to me.

As does Megan's way of viewing and calculating product prices. She talks about value - not value as in 'bargain' like I tend to think of it (that is totally ingrained in me!), but value as in 'valuable - worthwhile'. I think the phrase ' value for money' has a lot to answer for in creating the misconception that if you buy something at a low price you're getting greater worth. (I'm not sure if how I said that makes any sense.) Anyway, Megan turns the situation around and asks what perceived value the customer will find in the item they buy from me, eg. years of looking and feeling awesome swishing and swashbuckling around, playing at living life in 'the good old days'. It's an interesting way to look at your own goods, I guess because you don't see them that way yourself.

This is lots of food for thought for me, which I'll probably be munching on for a good while. I hope it's low-cal!!

Here's the link if you'd like to check it out:  http://www.etsy.com/community/online-labs?utm_source=bronto&utm_medium=email&utm_term=If+not%2C+get+caught+up+now%21&utm_content=etsy_success_051712&utm_campaign=etsy_success_051712

No comments:

Post a Comment